What is a Facial?
A facial is basically a multi-step skin treatment that is one of the best ways to take care of your skin. A facial cleanses, exfoliates, and nourishes the skin, promoting a clear, well-hydrated complexion and can help your skin look younger. You also receive advice on the best way to take care of your skin. A facial works best when it is part of an on-going program of skin care.
Why Get Facials?
Our Skin is the largest organ of our body Our skin is our Protector, protecting us from the weather, the wind, the exhaust fumes, the sun, you name it! Our Skin defines our Beauty and tells our story- it shows our laugh lines, our babies stretch marks, our scars and more. Our Skin responds to care and attention Our Skin, with proper treatment can slow the aging process, reinvigorate, and stay healthier longer.
People get Facials for Different Reasons
- Problematic skin: Acne and blackhead extractions
- Skin Management: Young adults want to preserve a youthful look
- Anti-aging: Older people would like help with proper anti-aging regimes
- Relaxing and being pampered
How Often Should You Get One?
On average our skin cells turn every 21-28 days depending on our stage of life. Your facial routine will depend on your skin type. Dry or dehydrated skin, it’s more important to be diligent in the winter months more than the summer. Oily Skin, it’s more important to get facials in the summers. Facials prevent problems for everyone, monthly facials are recommended to treat and maintain your skin properly.
What Can I Expect During a Facial?
The Basic Steps of a Facial
- Consultation. A facial should begin with a consultation.
- Cleansing. First step is thorough cleansing, using cotton pads, esthetician wipes or sponges. Most professional facials do a double-cleanse.
- Skin Analysis. The esthetician might look at your skin under a bright lamp or lit magnifying lamp first. She is determining your basic skin type (dry, oily, combination, sensitive or normal) and skin conditions (acne, blackheads, whiteheads, aging, sun-damage, dehydration, etc.). The esthetician then chooses the appropriate products and treatments and consults with you about what he or she sees and recommends.
- Steam. Most facials use a machine that directs a thin vapor of warm steam to your face. This is relaxing and helps softens up any blackheads and whiteheads to be extracted. If you have very sensitive skin, the esthetician may not use steam.
- Mechanical exfoliants have a gritty texture that rubs away the surface dead skin cells. This type of exfoliation usually happens during the steam.
- Chemical exfoliation uses enzymes and acids to loosen the bond between skin cells. A gentle enzyme treatment can be done during the steam.
- Stronger chemical peels which vary in intensity, can be a stand-alone treatment or part of the facial.
- Extractions. The removal of blackheads or whiteheads if you want it and need it.
- Facial massage using classic strokes to both relax you and stimulate your skin and facial muscles.
- Facial Masks. Depending on your skin type (dry, oily, combination, sensitive, mature) and condition the proper mask will be applied. While the mask sets, the esthetician may give you a scalp, shoulder, hand or foot massage or some other service.
- Final application. Proper toner, serums, moisturizer, and sunscreen are applied to finalize your facial.
- Home Skin Care Advice.
Make Your Investment in You Last
If you’re investing in a good quality facial, make sure you get your money’s worth. When you get a facial, make sure you maintain the results. Your esthetician will recommend proper toner, cleansers and moisturizers specifically for your skin.
Visit Skin Renew
Massage, skin care, laser tattoo removal, and more.
Just a few minutes south of downtown Indianapolis.