Redness, slight blistering, tenderness, and swelling are some of the most common side effects of laser tattoo removal. All patients experience these side effects to various degrees. Your skin will feel sensitive and tender for a few days, but these side effects should gradually dissipate over two weeks. You might also experience a “frosting” effect, which makes the treated tattoo look white and chalky, indicative of the release of carbon dioxide from the skin. This frosting effect should last for a maximum of 30 minutes — if it lasts longer, please contact your service provider.
Immediate Side Effects of Laser Tattoo Removal
The First Week After Laser Tattoo Removal
Your body will continue breaking down and digesting the tattoo ink particles for the first week after your laser tattoo removal. Your skin will continue looking red and swollen for the entire week, but the healing process will start. Even though most patients don’t notice the results at this stage, your body will carry away the unwanted ink particles, facilitating their gradual expulsion via the lymphatic system. Your body will continue dissolving ink for up to eight weeks after the laser tattoo removal procedure, following which you may need another session.
Post-Treatment Aftercare Guidelines
Most of the side effects of laser tattoo removal are mild and painless, and they dissipate after a week or two. However, to ensure optimal results and recovery, you must follow your service provider’s aftercare guidelines. The outcome of the procedure depends as much on your adherence to the guidelines as it does on the procedure itself.
The following are some of the most important post-treatment aftercare guidelines:
- Rest and elevate the treated area above the heart’s level to ensure optimal blood flow.
- Avoid physical activities that involve extended periods of standing or walking.
- Apply cool packs to the treated area for intervals of 3 to 5 minutes for 1 to 2 hours.
- Wrap the ice pack in a cloth towel to prevent it from touching your skin directly.
- Moisturize the treated area with Vaseline® or Aquaphor® at least thrice a day.
- Don’t use medicated washes, hydrogen peroxide, harsh soaps, peels, exfoliants, etc.
- Avoid direct sunlight, spray-tans, tanning beds, and self-tanners.
- Apply SPF 50+ and use barrier protection, such as adhesive bandages, while going out.
- Keep the treated area dry by avoiding excess sweating.
Laser Tattoo Removal at Skin Renew Day Spa & Laser Center
Skin Renew Day Spa & Laser Center is a luxurious day spa and wellness center specializing in laser tattoo removal using cutting-edge technologies. We have been offering laser tattoo removal services for over a decade, and we stay abreast of the latest developments and techniques to ensure optimal results. Please schedule an appointment to explore your laser tattoo removal options in Indianapolis, IN.